Industry Sponsored Symposia (ISS)
For purposes of these guidelines, an Industry Sponsored Symposium (ISS) is an educational program for which AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ is offered by an organization external to the PAS, is not endorsed by the PAS and not part of the PAS official conference program. The ISS program is the exclusive venue available for educational programs by industry during the PAS Annual Meeting. These events are scheduled during time slots that do not compete with PAS programs or exhibit hall hours. Space is limited; available times for ISS for 2017 are noted on page two.
CME Credit and Compliance with AMA and ACCME Guidelines
The PAS does not provide AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for ISS. Those wishing to hold symposia must obtain credit from another accredited CME provider.
All ISS must be held in compliance with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education’s (ACCME) Standards for Commercial Support of Continuing Medical Education. In addition, although compliance with the AMA’s Ethical Opinion on Gifts to Physicians from Industry is the responsibility of the individual physician, every effort should be made to ensure that PAS attendees are not put in a compromising situation that would be considered a violation of these guidelines. Approval of proposed ISS will be based on these and other regulations as outlined within.
To submit an application click here and follow these steps:
- create an account on the Scholar One site and complete all disclosures during this process
- contact the PAS Program Office to inform them you have created an account and need access to submit
ISS supporters must submit a completed application no later than January 15, 2017. Payment of the educational grant must accompany the application when submitted. Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis as space permits.
An application will be considered complete when it includes:
• Rationale for holding the ISS
• Learning objectives
• Complete agenda for the program, including proposed speakers and topics
• Synopsis of program content for publication in the PAS programs
• Complete application with original signatures
• Contact information for accredited CME sponsor of the ISS
• Sample evaluation form
• Description of how evaluation and CME credits will be handled on-site
The PAS Operating Committee and Program Committee Chair will review the application and determine its appropriateness based on the program’s scientific merit and audience interest.
Criteria for acceptance of an ISS proposal include the following:
• The topic is timely and of broad interest to the memberships
• The topic meets ACCME guidelines and Standards for Commercial Support, and the content is free of commercial bias for or against any product
• The proposed program is designated for CME credit by an ACCME accredited provider
To avoid the appearance of conflict, current PAS Board, Council, Program Committee and PAS Alliance Board members may not be included as speakers or moderators for an ISS. All correspondence with ISS speakers, including honoraria and expense reimbursement, will be the responsibility of the organizer.
The sponsor will be contacted in writing regarding the committee’s decision approximately one month after review. Applicants may not contact reviewers directly to provide additional information or to check the status of an application. Once a program is selected and approved, it may not be modified.
Date Session Time No. of Session Slots Available
Sunday, May 7: 5:30am – 8:00am 3
Sunday, May 7: 7:30pm – 11:00pm 3
Monday, May 8: 5:30am – 8:00am 3
Regardless of the time, the room is released to you for set-up, your program (including registration, breakfast/dinner, etc.) must not begin prior to the start times listed above.
• PAS Exhibitors – $25,000
• Non-Exhibitors – $30,000
• Payment is due at the time of application.
• Checks should be made payable to the Pediatric Academic Societies. Full payment will be refunded if the program is not accepted. Fee includes room rental and a brief synopsis for publication purposes. All other expenses including catering and audio/visual are the responsibility of the company.
The PAS must be notified in writing of the cancellation of an approved ISS. For cancellations received by the close of business on March 3, 2017, the PAS will issue a refund of 80%. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after March 3, 2017.
Event Arrangements (Catering, Audio Visual, and Hotel Logistics)
• ISS will be assigned by PAS at an official PAS hotel. Meeting space will be blocked to accommodate sufficient set-up time. All ISS must be contained within the assigned meeting room and the assigned time frame. Those scheduled for early morning sessions may have access to the room the evening preceding the session. If the room is in use, set-up may be delayed until after 11:00pm.
• If company policy allows, the PAS prefers that a modest meal or reception is provided for either evening or morning programs.
• The ISS organizer is responsible for the arrangement of all details regarding room set up, catering arrangements, audio visual etc. Instructions and contact information will be distributed in early February with the room assignment confirmation.
• ISS organizers are responsible for handling pre-registration and on-site management of the event.
• No sales activities may take place, and no promotional materials may be distributed in the session room or the registration area.
• All expenses associated with room set up and clean up, food and beverage, audiovisual, electrical, telephone, shipping, signage, etc. are the sole responsibility of the ISS organizer. The application fee includes meeting room rental fee only.
• The application and administrative fee does not include audiovisual equipment rental or labor costs.
PLEASE NOTE: One person must be designated as the contact for all company communications. PAS will only work with that designee throughout the planning process.
• All promotional and program materials must be reviewed and approved by the PAS. Once approved, revisions and final materials must be submitted to the PAS in writing.
• The PAS wishes to avoid any implication that ISS are planned, implemented or sponsored by the PAS. Promotional material may in no way mention the PAS, individual PAS partner societies or the PAS Annual Meeting. Phrases such as “presented during,” “presented in conjunction with,” “preceding” or “prior to” may not be used. This rule applies to materials developed for use before, during and after the conference.
• The distribution/display of any materials promoting an ISS is strictly prohibited in all public spaces of the event venue, convention center or other hotels, except as outlined below.
• Advance Mailing To Pre-Registrants – Upon approval of your first promotional piece to be mailed, the PAS will provide a single pre-registrant list at no cost. This list is approved for a one-time use only to promote the ISS. For subsequent mailings, additional copies of the PAS pre-registrant list will be available for purchase for $400.
• Publication Announcements – PAS will list a brief synopsis of the ISS on the PAS website, Pocket Program Guide, and within the PAS Meeting mobile app.
• Signage – Three (3) promotional signs are permitted in the hotel. Two (2) signs may be placed in public spaces and one (1) sign may be placed at the symposium room door. Additional signs are not permitted. Sign dimensions may not exceed 24” x 36”. Sign postings are permitted 24 hours prior to the start of the event and must be removed within two hours after the event. Distribution of invitations, tickets, etc., promoting an ISS is strictly prohibited in all other public spaces of the event venue, convention center or other hotels. Hotels may have restrictions on the placement of signage. Please inquire with your hotel event manager.
• For other symposium marketing opportunities, contact Carmen Beck, Sponsorship Director, at email@example.com or 832.404.2413.
ISS organizers must submit an evaluation summary and final attendance list by June 2, 2017.
The PAS reserves the right to restrict and/or dismiss at any time any event, topic, format or materials it deems inappropriate. By applying to host an ISS, you agree to adhere to the ISS guidelines set forth by the PAS. Any violation of these guidelines may result in the immediate dismissal of your company as an exhibitor or your program. PAS reserves the right to dismiss future ISS applications submitted on behalf of any sponsor, credit provider or commercial supporter who has violated these guidelines. Consequences result in written warning and/or banned from future participation at PAS Meeting Exhibition and/or ISS function.
Carmen Beck, Sponsorship Director
3400 Research Forest Drive, Suite B7
The Woodlands, TX 77381
832-404-2413, 281-419-0082 (fax)